Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin
|
Help! My acne is flaring up and I can't make it stop!

Hi,

I'm 14 and i'm going through that stage of puberty that causes a ton of brake outs, but they seem to be getting worse. I have very oily skin, but I also have ezcema (don't know if I spelled that right). I have these little tiny pimples along my cheeks that I tame, but when i get rid of them they get worse and hurt! Does anyone know any products I can use to help my face get rid of these things?

Re: Help! My acne is flaring up and I can't make it stop!

It's hormones. Overusing products, not drinking a good amount of water, hands touching face, worrying about it will not at all help balance the skin.

Talk with your doctor and have them get you on a good skincare routine, and have the explain everything..take notes or get written down. It should be basically a gentle cleanser, one ace product and moisturizer. Any more than that, you probably won't adhere to. And learn to cleanse twice daily gently.

Where you diagnosed with eczema rather than self diagnosis or a parent told you so etc? If a doctor did so, speak with that one about the acne. Buying products without understanding if they will flare the eczema will only backfire. Better to get help first.

I was diagnosed by a doctor that gave me a prescription and it was too harsh on my skin. 

You're at the age where you need to implement a good consistent skin care routine. Washing your face, toning, moisturizing, and spot treating when needed. 

I really like Ole Henrikson, and he has a whole line devoted to oily blemish prone skin (all green labels). He has an acne spot treatment which I haven't tried, but I love the Murad one. 

A trip to the dermatologist, or at least your doc might be a good idea too! 

So, we'll start with the bad news.  You're 14 and if pubescent acne is in your genetic cards, you're exceptionally unlikely to eliminate it entirely.  However, the size and dispersion of the pimples you describe make it sound likely they may respond pretty effectively to over-the-counter treatments.  (The pain makes it potentially a little dubious.)

You need to start with a good skincare routine: (1) cleanser to break up oil and grime on the surface of the skin; (2) toner to balance the skin's pH and prep it for moisturizing; and (3) moisturizer to replenish good oils in the skin and prevent it from over-drying and over-producing oil in response.  Currently, your skin sounds dry with the typical teenage oily patches.

So, recommendations:

1.  If you wear makeup, particularly with a liquid foundation, I'd recommend a cleansing oil at the end of the day.  Oil breaks up foundation and skin oil better than water-based cleansers, and despite what it might seem, using oil-based products isn't usually a problem for people who have slight-to-moderately oily skin.  I use Origins Clear Energy Cleansing Oil—available from Origins direct—but Shiseido's Perfect Cleansing Oil [below] is also excellent.

2.  At night, follow the cleansing oil with a water-based cleanser—which can be used alone in the morning—which will remove any remnants on the face and help clean out the pores.  Philosophy offers some very fine cleansers for younger skin.  Purity Made Simple [below] is by far the most popular and universal.

3.  After your water-based cleanser (both morning and night) follow with a toner.  This is a good step to include some mild anti-acne ingredients.  I use Origins Zero Oil Pore Purifying Toner [below], which includes salicylic acid.  Others are available, but be careful to avoid acne-targeting toners with alcohol, since these are rough and dry out the skin.

4.  Again, both morning and night, follow your toner with moisturizer.  Again, for youthful skin, Philosophy is a strong brand—Renewed Hope in a Jar [below] is very fine (and oil-free, though I wouldn't be afraid of adding oil at this stage as long as it's not mineral oil).  Another stellar option is Bobbi Brown's Vitamin Enriched Face Base [below], which doubles as a makeup primer.

5.  Since pimples are caused by oil, dirt and dead skin clogging pores, using a once- or twice-weekly exfoliator would help clear it away.  I use Skyn Iceland's Nordic Skin Peel—available from Ulta and Skyn Iceland direct among other outlets—or water-only Microdermamitt—available direct or from Birchbox among others—to gently scrub away the dead skin.  Just don't overuse an exfoliator, since this too can irritate or overdry the skin, which can be counterproductive.  The other option is a pore-clearing weekly mask.  I've found charcoal masks work best for clearing pores of blackheads.

6.  For the pimples that will inevitably pop up, the best option is usually a spot treatment.  It directly targets the emerging pimple without drying out the rest of the skin.  My favorite is Kate Somerville's EradiKate Acne Treatment [below].

After beginning a skincare routine, it often takes 6-8 weeks for all products to be at peak effect for acne prevention, though improvement in skin tone and texture should be pretty immediately apparent.  And often enough, acne may appear to get worse before it gets better.  Be patient.  Keep a decent diet and drink a lot of water.  If you keep having problems, or your acne is regularly deep and painful, your best option is to see a dermatologist.  Good luck.

http://www.sephora.com/perfect-cleansing-oil-P388545?skuId=1641778&icid2=brand%20content_brand:shise...

http://www.sephora.com/purity-made-simple-P7109?skuId=407304&icid2=brand%20content_brand:philosophy_...

http://www.sephora.com/zero-oil-pore-purifying-toner-P297544?skuId=1375989&icid2=brand%20content_bra...

http://www.sephora.com/renewed-hope-in-jar-P392232?skuId=1674092&icid2=category%20search_skin%20care...

http://www.sephora.com/vitamin-enriched-face-base-P270594?skuId=1292820&icid2=category%20search_skin...

http://www.sephora.com/eradikate-acne-treatment-P232903?skuId=1167147&icid2=brand%20content_kate_som...

4 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors