Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin
|
Need New Skincare!

I've been using Clinique acne solutions, and it's not doing what I want a skincare to do. I do get oily in my t-zone throughout the day, and deal with acne. My skin isn't smooth, and I have white bumps on my cheeks. Recently I've been struggling with dry patches on my forehead and nose. I would like to try new skin care ASAP, any suggestions? Thanks

Re: Need New Skincare!

I used the Clinique acne solutions and my face was terribly dry the entire 4 months that I used it.

I switched to using the Murad Clarifying Cleanser with my Clarisonic Mia 2 every night and I use an exfoliant in the morning (Origins Modern Friction). I do believe the Clarifying Toner from Clinique is amazing and I have repurchased it about 8 times now. I use it morning and night. I think what helps your skin is to stop battling it and help soothe it. You definitely want to make sure you're using acne cleansers and spot treatments, but for your moisturizer, try to keep the acne treatment out of it. If you feel like you need a boost of acne treatment, I recommend Murad Skin Perfecting Lotion for Blemished skin before you use your moisturizer and after you use your spot treatment.

I use to have like pizza face every spot on my cheeks... When I switched to Murad clarifying cleanser my skin changed drastically! I wish I found it sooner before I spent so much money on everything else! 

I like the Clinique Acne Solutions gel (or the Murad Acne treatment) for when I or one of my daughter's or son get a seriously social life compromising pimple, but otherwise I only use the cream from this line on their oily T-zones, as the wash is way too harsh; it strips the skin of natural oils. I recently switched my children (aged between 9 and 21) onto the Clinique Mild Facial Wash, the Dermalogica Soothing Facial Wash, and the First Aid Beauty Face Wash for morning, with the Clinique Take The Day Off, and Lancome Bi Facil and/or other oil-based face washes picked up on my travels, and they have much less oily-T-Zone issues come 2pm in the afternoon now, so everyone's happy 🙂

I've used the Clinique cleanser, and it's definitely too drying...this could be while you're getting an oily T-zone later in the day (I've had this problem too).

I've switched to Boscia's purifying gel cleanser, and it's very gentle on the skin. For acne, I use Fresh's Umbrian clay mask to help absorb extra oil, and I also use it as an overnight dab-on for active pimples. I haven't had any issues with drying with the umbrian clay as I do use a moisturizer afterwards. 🙂

I agree, I think the Clinique may be too harsh for you. In addition to Philosphy you can try the First Aid for Beauty face wash - it is very gentle and won't strip your skin of oils (which enhances skin's oil production, making skin more oily). A good moisturizer is key to controlling oil as well. I personally like Clinique's Moisture Surge moisturizer, and I use a Vitamin C serum at night as well. I tone with Caudalie's Beauty Elixir, since it is gentle on my skin. Remember, it will take time for a new skincare regimen to take effect. It might be helpful to slowly bring in one product at a time or get rid of one product at a time, so as not to totally shock your skin 🙂

If you are using their toner, definitely stop that. I used the clinique 3 step for years as well and getting rid of a harsh, alcohol-based toner helped my skin immensly. One of the first products I would reccomend adding into your routine is FAB radiance pads. You use them in place of your toner, and they are gentle enough to use daily.

http://www.sephora.com/facial-radiance-pads-P278317?skuId=1309608

I do love clinique's gel moisturizer, would you recommend me using FAB's face cleanser as well, or keeping my acne solutions cleanser? 

I personally find the Clinique cleanser over-drying. I think the philosophy cleanser would work well, or the FAB red clay cleanser. If you're not removing your makeup already, in addition to washing, I would recommend checking out a makeup remover like the Clinique Cleansing Balm. You would use this in the evening if you wear makeup or sunscreen, and then use your face wash. 

If you keep experiencing dry patches, you could check out adding a heavier moisturizer to your routine at night, or even a facial oil. 

http://www.sephora.com/skin-rescue-deep-cleanser-with-red-clay-P384539?skuId=1567205

http://www.sephora.com/take-the-day-off-cleansing-balm-P126301?keyword=clinique%20cleansing%20balm&s...

How long have you been using Clinique?

I've used their 3step (non acne) system and it unbalanced my skin. I'm combo/oily, but was very oily with the system.

Philosophy purity made simple cleanser (there is a 3oz size and a Welcome to philosophy kit, so you can try before buying a big bottle). For my acne, prescription Aczone (dapson) topical gel has rid the acne fast and kept it away.

It takes at least 3 months to start seeing a difference. Also with any acne ingredients do not use every day, as it will dry the skin out. Can use every other day or once a day. The treatment step, that stays on the skin, really is what helps the ingredients get into the skin.

Depending on long you've been using it, either cut back usage or just use gentle products to get your skin back to being balanced before adding in products to help even the skintone/texture.

I've been using clinique for about a year now, thank you! 

9 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 3 Hearts Given
  • 7 Contributors