From makeovers to personalized skincare consultations

Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Combination Skin
I've had Oily skin my whole life. Now I'm starting to have combo of oily and dry - HELP!!

I'm 21 years old and have had oily skin - no doubt in the world that my face is an oil slick. Within the last year I have noticed my skin starting to have dry areas as well as oil patches. I have no idea if this is how my skin has developed or I'm using products that are just making me dry. I have only had a handful on instances in which a product managed to make me dry.

Any suggestions on what skin care/ makeup i can use? I'm almost hesitant to completely change into combo products because I'm worried that this is just a weird time for me

Re: I've had Oily skin my whole life. Now I'm starting to have combo of oily and dry - HELP!!

I was oily/combo until I hit my mid 20's and now I'm straight up oily. (That sounds weird lol.) My routine stayed pretty consistent so I know it wasn't products causing the changes, but just me getting older 😕 

That being said, when I was oily/combo I used the same products for my entire face but spot treated the drier areas and acne. I spot treated the drier areas by covering them with good old vaseline before bed after applying serum and moisturizer. This acted to sort of seal the area and keep it from drying out. In the morning the dry patches wouldn't be as dry. You could probably substitute vaseline with some kind of facial oil but I was broke so I made do with what I had. The vaseline did not make me break out but your mileage may vary. Good luck!

Re: I've had Oily skin my whole life. Now I'm starting to have combo of oily and dry - HELP!!

Your skin can change if you moves/lives in a different environment now and as you age. I used to have oily/combo but now I'm more dry/combo. If you are using a gel moisturizer, I would say try switch to a gel cream moisturizer instead (Belif Aqua Bomb, Philosophy Deep Breathe, Clinique Moisture Surge etc). Or change your cleanser from an oil-control one to a balancing/gentle one (Boscia Purifying, Origins Checks and Balances etc).

If you are tentative about changing product, get a travel/mini size of lightweight facial oil (Tarte Maracuja, Fresh Seaberry or Tatcha). After you finished your skincare at night, put 2 drops on your palm, rub them together then press onto your cheek/dry patches.

What skincare products are you currently using?

I use the St. Ives Blemish Control Apricot Scrub and Clinique Moisturizing Gel and at night I use the clean and clear night relaxing face wash with the origins nightamins (as of recently, before i just used the clinique gel)

If I need to I will use a Murad spot treatment and Clinique eye cream but I don't find I need that every day. I don't have as much acne anymore so I don't use medicated stuff (like proactiv) anymore
Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors