Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Customer Support
|
What are parabens?

Re: What are parabens?

Wealth of Information in these replies.  I love ingredient talk 🙂 

The amounts of parabens that are used in an individual product is somewhat regulated.  The problem is you don't use ONE product and none of the regulations are accounting for that.  I use at least 20 products daily.  FDA is not regulating or counting up the effects. 

Parabens are something I can live without.  Or at least get down to the "approved amount."

(+ methylparaben when applied topically increases the damaging effects of the sun)

Parabens—methyl, propyl, butyl and ethyl (alkyl-p-hydroxybenzoates)—are chemical preservatives.  These chemicals mimic your body´s own hormones and can have endocrine-disrupting action when they are rubbed into your skin or washed down the drain into your drinking water. These disruptors interfere with your body´s endocrine system: your hypothalamus, your ovaries, your thyroid—virtually every system in your body.  They are approved by the FDA for use in very small amounts in cosmetics / skin care products.  But because your skin is the largest organ in your body, keeping the number of chemicals that your put on your skin to a minimum seems like a good idea.  And more and more these days, skin care and cosmetics companies have introduced paraben-free products.

Are they bad for you? Ehhhh in high amounts for sure they are--also you probably should not eat a bunch of it either. In small amounts the jury is still out. More and more movement has been brought to remove them from products as studies are finding that we actually absorb more than was thought before (the previous studies ruling them safe were not continued use--they simply tested to see how much you absorbed when it was applied). I know that a lot of breast cancer survivors are told to use paraben free products as parabens have been found on breast cancer tissue. Is it a cause? I don't really know. The FDA has approved its use in beauty supplies in a very very (VERY) small amount which is why it's usually towards the last bit of the list in ingredients (they are in order from greatest amount to least amount) but a way that many companies use to go around this is using different forms of parabens (example: using propylparaben and butylparaben instead of just propyl). No one can say it will harm you though because many studies support the original finding of it being harmless. But I'd look at how more and more brands are stopping the use of them (which is really hard because they have to reformulate the entire product without changing the way it works!) and I think it's important to know what we are putting on ourselves whether it be talc or parabens. I'm a total science nerd and encourage forcing more testing to determine what in the world parabens can do. I also know that the UK has stricter guidelines on parabens than the US does. 

I do not use lip products with parabens and try to buy products without it. Certain products (usually cleansers) that I fell in love with before I learned about parabens have it though. I will not use moisturizer or primers with parabens--I feel like since they sit on my face they have the greatest chance of absorption! Most of my eyeshadows are paraben free--especially the ones I wear the most. I also don't buy deodorant, lotions or shampoos/conditioners with parabens anymore. It makes it hard and natural lines are not always paraben free (the old formulation of Mineral Veil from Bare Minerals had it and the Skin Rev-er Upper still does!) however I like the challenge 🙂

It is totally a personal choice. 

@Vballchick01, Parabens are the most commonly used synthe...

@Vballchick01, Parabens are the most commonly used synthetic preservatives. They ensure a long shelf life in cosmetics by inhibiting the growth of harmful bacteria, yeast, and mold in beauty products. Hope that helps!

Re: @Vballchick01, Parabens are the most commonly used synthe...

are they really bad for u?

@Vballchick01, All products Sephora carries have been safety-tested & approved. Depending on your preference, we offer products with and without parabens. Simply search for "paraben free" on Sephora.com, or look for the green logo to find more natural options.

i was gonna get the oil free luara mercier travel kit thing with the primer tinted mosterizer concealer and brushes but then someone told me they have parabens

Yep, Laura Mercier products do contain parabens (a full ingredient list is available for the Oil-Free Flawless Face kit product page under "More About This Product"). If you want a set without parabens, check out the Smashbox Complexion Perfection Kit, or call 1-877-SEPHORA (1-877-737-4672) & select option 2 to speak with a Beauty Advisor who can help. Good luck!

Conversation Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 11 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors