Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Frizz Fighters
Keeping hair straight and frizz-free overnight

I have naturally wavy/slightly curly and very frizzy hair that tends to get oily at the roots. My usual routine at night is to shower right before bed and blow dry my hair straight (I shower my hair every other day and blow out my hair only on those days). Once I’m done, my hair feels fully dried, and looks frizz-free, but as of the last few months, I wake up to a very wavy frizzy mess and then I have to straighten it again which defeats the purpose of straightening it at night (to save time and not wake up others in the morning).

I don’t feel like I sweat much in my sleep, but I’m guessing that could possibly be a reason why this happens or maybe my hair isn’t fully dried even though it feels as it is. I almost always leave my hair down when I sleep and avoid putting it in an elastic because my roots tends to feel oily when I put it in a ponytail and I don’t want to leave an indention in my hair from the elastic. Sometimes I sleep with a clip in my hair, but that’s not always comfortable.

Any idea what I’m doing wrong, or what I can do to keep my hair straight and frizz-free overnight? Any tips or product suggestions would greatly be appreciated!  

Re: Keeping hair straight and frizz-free overnight

Thank you everyone for the tips! My hair has looked so much better since I followed the advice that was given to me on this board. Now I just need to work on improving the overall health and growth of my hair. I think the silk pillow cases and satin lined cap can help with that issue.

@ContouringinTXThe satin lined caps seem like they would be useful, and they are really cute, I decided to order one today. Thanks for informing of a product that I would have otherwise never discovered. 🙂

That's awesome, Amanda! I hope you like yours as much as I like mine. You'll have to post on the thread and let us all know!

thankx for posting an update @Amanda1210

It is so great when people come back and update on what advice they took, and what helped!! 

I agree. I'm also glad that the wonderful advice helped you! 

Same here!  I've picked up some good tips from this thread, too! 😊

Hi @Amanda1210,

I twist my hair into a bun and sleep in a satin sleep cap. Works wonders - my hair is super smooth when I pull it down in the mornings, and sometimes I don't even have to comb through it -  just running my fingers through it and touching up the curls is enough to refresh the hairstyle. 

The cap I use is called a SLAP. Here's the link!

http://www.satinlinedcaps.com/

I'm using CC cream for hair to keep hairstyle. Oil treatments for hair is the best option to keep your hair non messy overnight. 

Clear hair of your shoulders and neck

No hair on your shoulders and neck. I hope this'll be helpful 

I have the same type of wavy/curly hair (only dry scalp instead) and I've found that silk pillowcases have eliminated the frizz and bird's nest my hair can look like otherwise if I leave it down at night.  My silk pillowcase has also had the side benefit of waking with no pillow creases on my face. 😉

Thank you all for the tips and product recommendations! I used all of your tips last night (making sure my hair was dry, using the cold shot feature on my dryer at the end of my blow out, spraying my hair with the humidity shield, and using some dry shampoo on my roots then throwing my hair up in a bun with the very comfortable invisibobble). 

Results: I woke up with frizz-free hair and no indentation from the invisibobble. My hair still did end up looking wavy, but not as bad as it did before, and the lack of frizz made it much easier to manage. I was able to brush through my hair to get it to look 95% straight without having to use any heat this morning so I'd say that is a success! 🙂 Also, using the invisibobble did help give my hair some volume which was nice.

Some thoughts:

-I would definitely make sure your hair is 100% dry before getting into bed. Just the tiniest bit of moisture will cause my hair to frizz and curl in my sleep. 

-I would use the cool shot on your dryer after you are done blow drying and straightening.

-Silk pillowcases can reduce frizz formation. 

-The Living Proof No Frizz Humidity Shield has done an amazing job of preventing frizz for my hair. You could try spraying this after you have finished styling your hair. 

I put my hair up at night and started using the Invisibobble traceless hair rings. They leave no indention at all.

http://www.sephora.com/original-the-traceless-hair-ring-P405036?skuId=1781376&icid2=products%20grid%...

Because your hair texture is wavy/slightly curly (I'm going to guess it's more curly on the underneath layers like mine) this routine goes against what your hair naturally wants to do. Even if it's completely dried, people tend to underestimate how much they sweat while sleeping.

Dry shampoo will help with the oily roots, if you're absolutely set on keeping it straight then put it up before bed and only use the iron to eliminate the indent from the elastic.

Conversation Stats
  • 12 replies
  • 8 Hearts Given
  • 10 Contributors
Photos1
  • Clear hair of your shoulders and neck