Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in K-Beauty
|
Beauty Recommendations for Trip to Tokyo

**So, I know that there's a similar thread out there for this for someone's trip to Japan, but since it's 2 years old now, I thought it would be okay to create a new one with updated information.**

So, I am fortunate enough to be able to take a trip to Tokyo in a few weeks, and, as a lover of beauty and a person intrigued by Asian skincare, I was wanting to create a short list of beauty items or brands that I should be on the look out for while I'm there. Any suggestions? My skin is pretty sensitive, so I'm leaning more towards makeup (as my skin tolerates that better than skincare). However, I am open to any sensitive skincare as well.

Thanks!

Re: Beauty Recommendations for Trip to Tokyo

@veronika23 I did! It's just taking me a bit to get to it as I have been trying to catch up on my thread while also doing school work at the same time...haha. It was very helpful and considerate -- thank you! Lots of ideas from her photos...

Yes to Laduree!!! And Jill Stuart and Anna Sui. Those would be my top three as well. 

@veronika23 - Yes there is a Dior boutique at Omotesando Hills area. I think there is Givenchy too 😄

I got my stuff through my personal shopper there thats how i knew 🙂

Yes, there are Dior exclusives at the Omotesando store near Harajuku. 

Whenever my husband goes to Japan for work I ask him to go to the 100 yen store and buy me some teeny bobby pins. They're about half the size and they grip my fine hair so much better than the standard ones sold here.

I'm intrigued...that's something I would have never considered. I don't have a problem with bobby pins and grip, I do sometimes wish they were not as long as they usually are. I will have to pick some up...

I totally forget about their bobby pins! They're the best - yes, the grip is stronger and they keep their shape for much longer.

I went there in late March of this year and really fell in love with the Kate brand eyeshadow palettes. They are that great Japanese formula (like Surratt) and are $10-$12. 

Even if you don't really want anything from a department store I suggest heading to Isetan in Shinjuku or Mitsukoshi in Ginza for their beauty departments. It is so nice to swatch everything and have great service while doing so, even if you don't buy anything. Always someone offering a cotton with makeup remover on it to clean swatches. I personally love the brands Addiction, Chicca, and Suqqu. Mitsukoshi also has a great Hakuhodo section in you have ever been interested in their brushes.

There is also a Korean part of Tokyo off of the Shin Okubo stop on the Yamanote line (the JR line the loops around the city and is the stop right before or after Shinjuku depending on which way you are going) where there are many Korean beauty stores.

One last thing, if you go into a department store you must go to the basement for the food hall. The food is beautifully presented and they offer many samples. There are french pasteries and desserts along with traditional Japanese sweet and savory food. If macarons  are your thing you can get Laudree and Pierre Herme. They didn't wow me but I can at least say I have tried them. 

Thanks for the suggestions -- those department stores look beautiful. Mitsukoshi reminds me a bit of the opulent department stores in Paris. I had heard about the amazing food halls in the basement, and I love food more than beauty products...haha...so I'll definitely be hitting those up.

Here's my short list of what I'll be looking for when I go there next year,

Drugstore:

IMG_20161102_163223.jpg

CanMake brand creme blushes

IMG_20161102_163243.jpg

K-Palette "tattoo liner" dupe?

IMG_20161102_163205.jpg

For baby soft feet, I've heard great things about this product!

IMG_20161102_163040.jpg

And of course, a year's supply of their super popular sunscreen!

Thanks for the recs -- I didn't know about this Biore sunscreen, so I'll have to check it out!

That Biore sunscreen is awesome!!

Is it good for comb skin? Thanks

its good for any skin type. VERY LIGHt and smells very good.

Thank you!

Ohh how exciting! I would love to hear your experience after the trip too! I'm heading there this winter and I've been doing a lot of research!

For Tokyo, keep an eye out for these two stores: 

Smile Everyday
Matsumoto Kiyoshi Tokyo

They have a huge wall to wall floor dedicated to just skincare and makeup - this is where I plan on heading to as well - definitely check out Japan's lashes they have a huge selection of styles and are really big on "bottom" lashes - which hasn't really caught on in the states "yet". 

@Sonny4President I'm excited to hear that you'll be taking a trip as well. I haven't done much research yet since this trip kind of came together rapidly, so I'm currently in the process now. Thanks for the store recommendations -- they sound fun! Intrigued by the bottom lashes as well. I don't know if I'm brave enough to do them, but it never occurred to me that something like that existed.

Have fun preparing and planning for your trip!

Thank you! I'm definitely gonna be following this thread as well. They have a huge lash selection - even top lashes! 

Sorry in advance that I'm. I help but I'll be heading to Japan ina few weeks too and would like to weed out the drugstore products that aren't that great. I did some research and the Japanese drugstores look overwhelming...

There are so many great products you can try, and you can find them in drugstores:

• I swear by K-Palette's eyeliner pen and brow pen. Honestly, their tattoo eyeliner performs better than any non-Asian brands I've tried and at a cheaper price point. Also, the pens last a long time before drying out.
  • Heroine Make mascara - I use Volume and Curl version
  • DHC lipcream is very similar to Fresh's lip products in terms of consistency and performance but they're like a third of the price.
  • If you use falsies, Japanese bottom lashes are great!
  • Some brands like Shiseido will have products you can't find in N. America.

Also, check out Lisa Eldrige's YouTube video (2015) of her Japanese makeup haul. She's a pro makeup artist.

Bon voyage 🙂

65 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos11
  • IMG_20161102_163223.jpg
  • IMG_20161102_163243.jpg
  • IMG_20161102_163205.jpg
  • IMG_20161102_163040.jpg
  • 20161205_211106 (1).jpg
  • 20161205_212622 (1).jpg
  • 1df8592b-4414-4fa2-ba6a-55d605325c31.jpg
  • TB2qu4XnXXXXXblXXXXXXXXXXXX_!!26209924.jpg_210x210.jpg