Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Men Who Makeup
|
A question for andyhtrieu, immichaeld and any other guys lurking on BT

I love a guy who knows his skincare and makeup, and you guys certainly know your stuff!  I'm really curious to know - what got you so interested?  Were you encouraged by anyone or did you discover it all yourselves?  Do people notice when you wear makeup?  Do you get hassled about it?  Do you get positive comments?

I think it's great that you are here.  I'd love to know how you got here, if you don't mind my asking.  Girls are marketed to from practically infancy about beauty products - guys not so much!  So, how did it all start for you guys?                                          

Re: A question for andyhtrieu, immichaeld and any other guys lurking on BT

Thanks so much!

Yes it is a selfie! 

I'm sure you're not terrible at selfies at all! Don't take them too seriously and keep in mind, you can take as many as you want in order to find one that you like!

As for your question, are you asking about the camera angle, photo setting, and my facial expressions?

I'll be glad to answer :)!

Probably the angle of the camera and expression...background is a given although some definitely better than others, I didn't grow up doing selfies, so it doesn't come natural to me.  My kids however, take adorable selfies.  What's your secret?

There are no secrets!

What I do is stretch my arms out to their full length, and lift them slightly so they are on an angle. I tilt my phone so the camera is looking into my eyes, and then I look up into the camera. I find this angle good for me as I feel it makes me look best. 

I hate taking selfies and pictures due to my past, but I'm starting to take more and more. 

As for expression, I always joke with my friends saying that we are "models" and we always make model faces. Slightly squinting the eyes giving a sharp look and lips a tad bit open. 

Then I take as many selfies until I find one that I like!

Ok immichaeld...I'm going to take a selfie photo shoot and see how it goes. 

Supposed to be sleeping right now.  Arg!   Just wanna say you look super gorg.  🙂

That means so much too me, thank you thank you! 

❤️ ❤️ ❤️

Your skin is so flawless. I love it! 

tumblr_inline_n1p2ifAWuo1stm0ce.gif

Seriously!

Aweee! I cannot thank you enough, Andy! I really appreciate it <3!

I second Andy's mini heart attack feeling, but I am somewhat honoured to see my name in a question thread! 

Thank you for taking an interest in us and all other males on Beauty Talks, End0ra! It's so nice to know that while Beauty Talks is essentially all about beauty, behind the screen are some wonderful people who care about the members on the forum and want to know more about the person behind the username. For that, I truly appreciate and respect you! Thanks again <3!

Also, thank you for the kind words and comment! The recognition is nice!

Now onto the question. It's going to be a "long story short" but a long story, LOL.

My interest in skincare and makeup is based solely on acne and the effects it had on me. I can honestly say that I have had acne since the age of 12 (I am now 22). At first, I wasn't aware of it nor did I care about it at all. At age 12, it was the minor breakout here and there - nothing major. As I started getting older, the breakouts started getting worse and worse. 

Skip to age 16, my face was an absolute mess. I had been on numerous topical acne medications and eventually some oral medications. They did not do anything for my skin at all. Nearing the end of high school I became very depressed, self conscious, and did not want to go anywhere, see anyone, or do anything. I was afraid of getting my picture taken and essentially afraid of the world because I did not want to be judged; I felt everyone was looking at me and making fun of me. Heck, I didn't even go to my high school prom or graduation (at age 18).

Speaking of age 18, I then got prescribed accutane, not once, not twice, but three times. My skin was so bad that accutane did not do anything to help my face except worsen my mood, make my lips bleed, and make skin so tight to the point I could barely move it - even with a rich moisturizer. To give some perspective, accutane is supposed to clear your face and stop (or almost stop) all acne from appearing once the medication is finished.

A couple years later, I was still increasingly becoming self conscious and doubting my appearance. My dermatologist said I had acne dysmorphic disorder (which is where you basically see your acne much worse than what it is) but that did nothing for me. It didn't change anything. I was in a very bad place and all I wanted was my face to be clear.

So, let's now skip to last year (age 21). As I grew to learn and discover more about myself, I started accepting who I was and wanted to make changes. I wanted to be the best I could be at what I wanted to be. I wanted to make up the lost time and years I wasted trapping myself in my room.

I first started off by watching YouTube videos. Seeing these videos of random unknown YouTubers talking about skincare opened me up into a whole new world. I researched countless hours about skincare products and the ingredients in them. I did nothing but spend all day reading articles about products, gathering information and knowledge about them. However, I still didn't leave my house because of how my face looked. After skincare products, I then started watching videos about foundation techniques and routines - but still, didn't leave the house to go out and try or purchase products.

But then it all changed. One day I was at my friends house, he had a skincare routine consisting of all clinque for men products. I was really intrigued. After going on a hike, I was in his shower and decided to use the clinique for men face wash. It felt so nice on my skin and then something just went off in my head.

The next day, I went out and got that exact same skincare routine, clinique for men face wash, moisturizer, eye cream, sunscreen - literally everything. I became so involved and interested and I couldn't stop myself. My skin started to clear up and I started to gain confidence. However, after a while, my skin started to breakout again. That is when I used all the research I had and ventured out to try new products. I started asking more questions and trying to find more answers.

And here I am now, still continuing my journey, still trying new products, still researching and studying ingredients, and most importantly, still trying to figure out my skin. 

On the other hand, makeup did not come until last year either. I was always too afraid to apply it and go out - for various reasons. I didn't want people knowing I was wearing makeup and I didn't want people questioning me. Again, one day I got over my fear and applied it- it changed my life. When I first wore it, my confidence was sky high and my self esteem was boosted immensely. My dream of having clear skin finally became true. 

Through tutorials on internet and watching videos, I learned about more products and became more interested in other makeup techniques such as contouring, concealing, and bronzing. 

Believe it or not I only started wearing makeup out everyday about 2 and a half months ago. I finally found the right foundation and techniques for my skin. With that being said, I apply a natural looking makeup look. I'm sure people notice that I wear it, especially people who are really into makeup, but I have never gotten asked if I wear it (when your face is perfectly even and you have defined cheeks and that perfect tan - how could you not) ;)! I have never gotten hassled about it and if I did, I honestly wouldn't care. I have accepted myself fully now, I am confident and comfortable in my own skin and I am not scared of the world anymore, that is all I could ask for. Makeup and skincare changed my life, literally. If it wasn't for my friends clinique, I would probably still be alone in the dark in my room to this day. 

As for the last question, surprisingly, I do get a lot of comments. "Wow your skin is absolutely beautiful", "you have the perfect features, do you model", "what is your skincare routine, your skin is flawless", "I live for those cheek bones, wow". Hearing these makes me the happiest boy in the world. From having the worst acne ever, to a bright, clear, radiant, and even complexion, getting compliments is the best thing in the world.

Update to today, I have no acne on my face, I can go out in public with no makeup on and be happy and confident with a smile on my face. I wear makeup because it makes me happy. It is such a beautiful art and there are so many unique things you can do with makeup. It is a hobby and lifestyle for me and I will never stop learning it and trying new products. 

One thing I want to do is start doing makeup on the side as a freelance artist. Going through the struggle I did, I found something in me where I want to help people who are beautiful, that don't feel beautiful, feel beautiful. There is nothing more pleasing than seeing a smile on someone's face who is confident. If I could give them that, it would be my pleasure. 

Side note: makeup is so controversial for males. Because of the socially constructed idea that men should not wear makeup, society adapts to that norm and come to the conclusion that men should not wear makeup. Through that social construction, questioning of identity and sexuality come into play for males who wear makeup. They then get excluded and belittled. 

And there you have it, my (life) story about why I got so interested in skincare and makeup!

Michael, xo!

Ps, SO sorry about the extremely long message. I always write in detail and writing this made me realize how far I have come and how much I have changed. I don't want to sound conceited, but, I am so proud of myself.

Don't apologize!  It's a great story.  I'm asking about a whole journey and that's never going to be a short answer. And you should be proud of yourself.  It's easy to write off physical self-esteem issues as being superficial and unimportant, but as we REALLY know, they're anything but.  We put importance on those things because those around us do as well.  For better or worse, It's just how society works.  

I love how you genuinely want to help people feel beautiful.  Have you ever considered volunteering with Look Good Feel Better?  It's a worldwide cancer charity, set up for women who are going through the illness, chemotherapy especially.  It's a godsend if you're going through it (which I did, nearly six years ago).  They run workshops with makeup artists, skincare people and wig experts.  When you're bald and feeling like you've been robbed of the things that make you feminine and beautiful (hair, **bleep**), it does wonders for your self esteem to be shown some tricks that make you feel normal and human.  And beautiful.

I've said this to Sonny elsewhere in this thread, but good on you for being a boy and wearing makeup if that's what you like.  It takes guts.

And - if there's one thing I know, being an old witch with a kajillion years of Internet forums behind me, it's that there are always interesting people behind the usernames who are worth getting to know a little better.

HA!  I got bleeped!  The bleep was for, uh, chesticles.  Bewbs.  Boooooobs.

Amazing story. My son is struggling with acne right now, and kind of has to wear make up for figure skating competitions; I really feel that having people like you willing to share your story the way you have will give him a lot of hope that he'll beat the acne some point soon, and also that wearing make up to cover zits and scars is no big deal. I will be sharing your story with him 🙂 Thank You.

Awee, you're very welcome, I am SO glad. Like I said, if I can give hope and courage to just one person, my goal is achieved and I am happy.

I wish your son all the best. I wish my mom or sister would have introduced me into makeup much earlier. It would have changed so many things.

If he or you have any questions about anything at all, feel free to private message me and I will be more than glad and happy to help - I love helping people as much as I can!

Michael, xoxoxo 

Found it super thorough and enlightening.  It's interesting hearing people's journeys into their passions. 

Thank you so much! I appreciate it!

I also agree, I love hearing people's stories. 

Everyone is so special and unique in their own way - it is what makes the world a beautiful place.

How did you get rid of your acne scars? I still have a few scars and what I use isn't working well enough

Even though I picked every pimple that was ever on my face (for anyone who is reading this - DO NOT PICK YOUR FACE, it only makes everything SO much worse), I somehow and am so thankful, never got any scarring. I have only ever had one on my temple but it faded away in a month or two. That was it. 

That was the least my skin could do to make it less worse.

I'll get back you though, I'll do some research and look for some products (even though you probably already know)!

You're so lucky! I have a bunch of scars that are fading slowly. 

@andyhtrieu

So I have found 2 products that claim and are designed to reduce scarring!

The first is the Decleor Aroma Solutions Energising Gel and the second is the La Roche Posay Circaplast Baume B5.

They are meant to heal and repair the skin!

2 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos3
  • image.jpeg
  • tumblr_inline_n1p2ifAWuo1stm0ce.gif
  • make.JPG