Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Men Who Makeup
A question for andyhtrieu, immichaeld and any other guys lurking on BT

I love a guy who knows his skincare and makeup, and you guys certainly know your stuff!  I'm really curious to know - what got you so interested?  Were you encouraged by anyone or did you discover it all yourselves?  Do people notice when you wear makeup?  Do you get hassled about it?  Do you get positive comments?

I think it's great that you are here.  I'd love to know how you got here, if you don't mind my asking.  Girls are marketed to from practically infancy about beauty products - guys not so much!  So, how did it all start for you guys?                                          

Re: A question for andyhtrieu, immichaeld and any other guys lurking on BT

I don't think men are really taught to care for themselves.  They're supposed to be tough and action oriented, outside and worldly focused.  Taking care of themselves is just not taught as a priority.

My ex-husband had bad acne that continued into adulthood.  His mother taught him that skincare didn't work and was a waste of money (seriously).  I took him to Origins, made him spend a real amount of money and his skin cleared up.  He was amazed.  But he would never have gone alone.

Makeup can be a stretch when all men aren't wearing it.  But skin care is so basic.  How can someone not be encouraged or embraced when buying it?  Especially if they're earning a commission?

So glad to see this post and discuss.  Shouldn't everyone be encouraged to be their best self and feel confident (doesn't makeup do that)?

So do any of the men have suggestions for brands of skincare I should get my son when he reaches the age of wearing it?  Which is coming up soon….

I agree with you on this.  I also think a lot of it has to do with the negative way people react.  For example my husband has really bad psoriasis mainly on his legs and arms but he was embarrassed to get anything to cover it up.  I got him to try my concealer on a pimple one day and when no one noticed/said anything he got bolder and went out to buy some body make-up.  The kind he wanted is sold at counters at Macy's so we went and the older woman behind the counter could not wrap her head around the idea that this was a purchase for him. She kept trying to color match me and I eventually had to take over and choose the color for him.  

The saleswoman's apprehension to help made an already frustrating experience even worse.  Getting colormatched is rarely fun!  My husband is pretty confident in his sexuality and doesn't get offended if people think he's gay but no one wants to be uncomfortable or made to feel like they're strange.  

After we left Macy's he said something like, if that's how men get treated when they want to buy make up it's a wonder anyone wears it at all!

It's absolutely ridiculous. Like really, why?!

Even from a business side, you have a customer or client who is paying money to the company to get a product, which will then either give you commission (if applicable), give the company profit which results in more work hours, a chance for a raise or the chance of the customer or client returning to purchase more.

It bugs me SO much!

However, in my last post, I forgot to mention that if men are comfortable with their sexuality and do not get offended if people question them or judge them, why do they still not opt for trying out skincare and makeup if they want too? Sure it could just be lack of interest but to not even think about it is a question I'll never understand.

Props to your husband! Good for him :)!

I think part of it at least is what I mentioned in my original post - women are fed the idea of the beauty ideal from the time they are little girls, but men aren't.  And I think THAT goes back to the very old fashioned idea that part of a woman's purpose is to look good for her man, whereas men aren't expected to do that for their women.   Their pressures are in other areas, like being a good protector and provider.

We think we're very modern, but we still have a ways to go, don't we? 🙂

Oh definitely.

Ugh, I hate codification.

It drives me crazy!  There's this huge market that they could be getting a profit from!  And if you get commission, why on earth would you turn someone away.  Also, what kind of jerk wants to make people feel bad?  

I swear his life changed when he first put on concealer.  It was like "Wait, I can put something on the will cover this red spot but no one will be able to tell??"  Lucky for him I bought a concealer in the totally wrong color!

I think skincare really is the gateway for men.  It's becoming way more mainstream to take care of your face/skin so it's ok if you buy a nice face wash.  And then it just kind of snowballs.  

If any man considered how much time and effort go into something else, say a haircut/facial hair whether that be mullet/Mohawk/fauxhawk, handlebars or a goatee, is that any less time/product/dedication to their appearance than how their skin looks? I've seen those epic waxed moustaches, so I daresay all cosmetics might as well be fair game to everyone and not considered gender specific.

I mean, why is sensitivity or lack of it assigned a gender side like yin and yang (or "masculine and feminine sides " as Michael said)? It seems so non-sensical when more people are open to expression of self being just Yourself. Sorry, that gender Judgemental-ness just tweaks me a bit being more tomboy. If I want to wear jeans and boots with a leather ruffle on the heel and Daisy Dreams, don't try and figure it out by gender or you'll be there all day. Not like sexuality can/should be judged by appearance either!

ARgh. 🙂

In school, I studied Human Geography and Public Health, I also minored in sexuality studies and applied computing. 

When taking multiple gender courses, whether it be gender and geography or gender and sexuality, my opinions and views changed drastically. It is a subject that really influenced the way I look at these socially constructed terms, and really tweaks me as well. 

I just wish it could all change and I am trying to find a way to do it, even though I am just one person.

I agree, being someone who was around a guy who was trying to get his PhD in Gender Studies, that's what most topics were about. He really opened up my thoughts... we mainly argued 80% of the time, but it wasn't a fight, it was more of debates... he clearly is better at debating at me... but he didn't make me change my mind on some subjects.

Gender studies people... haha they have a lot to say 😛

“If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change. As a man changes his own nature, so does the attitude of the world change towards him. ... We need not wait to see what others do.” Some lawyer named Ghandi said that.

If ever in doubt about how much impact you can make, inspire yourself with any of Fred Rogers commencement addresses.

I like this question and reading the responses.  Just saying 😉

I love this thread!  I'm a huge believer that makeup makes women feel better so why not men?  I've already told my son that as soon as he gets to be the age when kids have acne problems I'm buying him a line of skin care (sounds like Clinique for men might be the brand.  Thoughts?).

My son also has an extreme fascination for science…this might sound off topic but isn't…  Other kids his age just can't discuss his passion with him.  So he watches tons of YouTube videos about science (a lot of the books are too complex for him still…he's read most of the related kids books we could find).  I love the idea expressed here that men …not encouraged to try and learn about makeup…can find so much information on YouTube and online that helps.  I'm a little too old to have had the online research benefit when learning to risk and reach out.

And, last, I used to sell shoes in college for a major department store known for an expanded size selection.  One day a known drag queen came in (excuse the term I don't want to use the name) and started trying on shoes.  I wasn't the least bit uncomfortable or bothered by it and we finally settled on a pair of pumps.  My customer then asked me to get two larger bottle of Estee Lauder's night repair…used on the hands I was told…because my customer told me it was always awkward to go to the cosmetics counters but I had been great to deal with.  For the first time I started thinking about that….Like why should anyone have to feel uncomfortable buying skin care?

Glad to read these experiences.

I highly suggest Kiehl's Facial Fuel Energizing Face Wash!

It tingles so you wake up in the morning energized, and for night use, while your face is relaxed and ready to sleep, it's very calming, and again, with a tingly feeling. It's lovely, water like texture and easy to rinse off.

Jack Black is another good men's brand.

Regarding men's lines in Clinique, Shiseido, etc., it's interesting that some of them charge more for basically the same product. My husband was told by a kind SA at Macy's that the Shiseido "men's" facial cleanser he was buying was less expensive (and the same product) in the "female" version. He showed no pride or shyness when he decided to get the "female" version instead, and has bought the same since.

Here is a selfie I took today wearing no makeup. 

(I don't like smiling in photos, hence the serious look)!image.jpeg

Flawless.  And you are so lucky you never got any scars.  I'm lucky enough that I never had acne problems, but I've got some big chickenpox scars on my face.  Not that I've ever been bothered by them TBH.  Just sayin'.

You really could model, you know.  Have you ever tried?

(Also, big props for the beautifully groomed eyebrows and just-so stubble.)

Aweee! Thank you so, so, SO much!

No I have never tried or taking modelling into consideration. 

After all, I still am self conscious and afraid of cameras.

(My brows in that picture don't look good at all, in my opinion. Usually they are much more groomed and sharp, I feel eyebrows and teeth are the most important features on the face so I take beyond care of them)!

If that's you on a bad brow day, a good brow day must be utterly fabulous.

Very handsome!

You're a doll, thank you times infinity! 

Handsome!  Is this a selfie, and if so, how do you take one so well?  I'm terrible at selfies!

Conversation Stats
Photos3
  • image.jpeg
  • tumblr_inline_n1p2ifAWuo1stm0ce.gif
  • make.JPG