Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Men Who Makeup
|
A question for andyhtrieu, immichaeld and any other guys lurking on BT

I love a guy who knows his skincare and makeup, and you guys certainly know your stuff!  I'm really curious to know - what got you so interested?  Were you encouraged by anyone or did you discover it all yourselves?  Do people notice when you wear makeup?  Do you get hassled about it?  Do you get positive comments?

I think it's great that you are here.  I'd love to know how you got here, if you don't mind my asking.  Girls are marketed to from practically infancy about beauty products - guys not so much!  So, how did it all start for you guys?                                          

Re: A question for andyhtrieu, immichaeld and any other guys lurking on BT

Can we take a moment to enjoy this? Warning: they drop a few f bombs

Cute. 🙂

LOL. This was so funny.

The MUA literally GLUED the one guys eyebrows with an actual glue stick... hahahaha!

Too good.

So she can conceal it and draw on new ones! 😄

That was fantastic.  I love how they were all scared of the eyeliner.  Tightlining is TERRIFYING!  

Can I just say how happy I was my guy wore SUNSCREEN when he was working in the yard this weekend? I am always nagging him about wearing it and he came in and he said I put on sunscreen because you want me to. 

Yet the guy has nicer cuticle beds than me. *sigh*

Doing dishes and constant hand washing ruin my cuticles. Maybe this is what we're doing different?

Haha I can relate to this. My guy grew up in the desert and welcomes the sun the few times that we see it in Michigan. This summer though he finally relented to my sunscreen craze after reading some articles on the health issues that can arise from lack of sun protection. Both of us have had a lot of health issues in our families recently, so he decided to let me win this one and I couldn't be happier about it. 

Like most teenagers, I had acne. I didn't have severe acne, but I had enough to make me consciously think I wasn't beautiful.

Having a mom that was in the skincare industry, I went to her for help. I was introduced to some acne cleansers - no clue what the active ingredients were, but none of them showed results I desired. 

Around 17 years old, my sister bought a Clean and Clear toner with salicylic acid 0.5% in Vietnam for me, after a couple days of using the product, I actually felt confident with my skin, I saw results. The first thing I did after coming back to the US was going online and searching this product... it was $5 at Target.

Late 17 to 18 years old, having a mom loaded with makeup in an unlocked room, I went in and tried her eye shadow (lol). I didn't have a strong interest in makeup back then, and using my mom's makeup didn't cross my mind once, so it was a very strange and random moment in my life haha. I think of myself as a fast learner, and I caught on pretty fast in application. Of course, the best known look, the smokey eye was my first attempt, I was proud of my creation and I remember posting a picture on Facebook, but I can't seem to find it... for the best though haha!

18 years old, at a Party City store, my first Halloween makeup kit was bought. Dark Creme Makeup, Liquid Latex, Fake Blood started the creation of the over done "zipper face"... I rather not post the blood dripping picture though.

Black Friday, November 2013...

make.JPG

My first buys from Sephora.

The gold eyeliner was bought because I LOVE THE HUNGER GAMES, and if anyone knows anything about the Hunger Games, there's a character in the movie that has a signature gold-liner look - Cinna. I wanted to recreate it. I used it like 5 times in my life time, it's still on my vanity haha! ( A trick I learned while having this product is you can use it on your lashes so you have stellar gold eyelashes... 😉 )

Skip to Halloween of this year, stumbling across my spfx makeup kit, I created a "7 day countdown" album on Facebook, creating 7 looks during the week of Halloween.

I fell in love with Special Effects makeup. Free-lanced for a haunted maze, and a fashion show, which is kind of ironic - but not completely uncommon in the spfx industry.

Special Effects makeup led me to beauty makeup. I was still mainly focusing on my eye makeup when it came to beauty though. Which I might add is very difficult, because mono lids have very limited techniques, I refused to think like that though. I always venture out of my comfort zone when I'm all by myself though :P. Still trying to find the perfect natural look for my skin colour (currently Vanish in the Monarch Palette).

I've had A LOT of put downs for my eye shadow, from family, "friends", families friend, especially when it comes to DARK intense looks. I'm slowly breaking that mold though, I'm the type of person who doesn't really care what others think of me... but the only reason I feel bad having these intense looks is how others view my parents. They have a very respected reputation... and I feel like I'm the only one in the family breaking away from "tradition".

I find it kind of ironic how my mom gave me her basically completely used (but still usable) Chanel Quad for me to use and then tells me, "OMG, You don't look like anyone" or "Do you see any other guy wearing makeup?" on some days... my mom is kind of weird, it's like she has two sides of her, the sharing, kind and open minded side, and the extremely random tantrum side where she yells any living thing that's near her... so I don't really dwell on that much.

ANYWAYS, Special Effects Makeup will always be in my heart, I'm currently enrolled in a 16 week Advanced Makeup Course, that involves both beauty and special effects.

If someone were to ask me where I see myself in 5 years or 10 years, I would say a Cinematic Makeup Artist. I'm currently looking at The Cinematic Makeup School in Hollywood.

I'm a total right brain, everything I enjoy involves creativity, even my current major involves art. I believe a lot of art forms can be interchangeable in many ways. Like Beauty makeup can TOTALLY be incorporated in special effects makeup, and colour theory... that was first invented for painting - and it is now incorporated in basically everything art related.

So that's my story... and my current outlook in the future.

Good on you for doing the smokey eye thing, if that's what you like.  It shows great strength of character, I think, to have the cojones to break the mould and stick with what makes you tick.  I understand where you're coming from to a large degree about the whole parents thing - my longtime partner is the first born and first son here of Russian immigrant parents, so I understand something of the pressures put on you.

The description of how you like to wear eyes kind of reminds me of one of the male MUAs at the MAC counter at a store here.  He's blonde, pale, bald except for a tiny blonde kiss curl on his forehead, and he wears a full face, including dramatic eyes.  And boy is he good at what he does, on himself and others.  To me it's a bit like that saying of 'never trust a skinny chef'.  What better way to show you know what you're talking about and you're a force to be reckoned with!

It's also great to see that your interests in makeup seem to have put you on a career path that you really enjoy.  Like they say, do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life.

(Geez, I just realized the different ways you can interpret that!! :))

Let me put it another way - you've got a vision for your life and something that sounds like a plan, and a passion that drives it.  That's the best place to be.

What an interesting topic...I'm glad Michael and Andy feel comfortable enough to wear makeup - that is awesome! Hopefully the trend toward open-mindedness continues and makes it easier for more people to dress/wear makeup how they please.

Michael - I love epi! I did a bunch of coursework in public health with an interest in epi 🙂 Now I'm in vet school and one of my areas of interest is herd health and epidemiology in populations! Good luck and congrats!

To be honest, a lot of men feel uncomfortable for most of the reasons stated in this thread.

They are either approached in a bad way by employees (men have feelings too) or they don't feel comfortable enough with themselves.

Personally, as a gay man, I feel straight men are afraid of being judged for their sexuality. In their head, they think that if they're buying skin care or makeup products to enhance their appearance, their sexuality is questioned, and god for bid, if it is, it is the end of the world. They're afraid to explore both their masculine and feminine sides so they just stick with a masculine identity.

Think about this, why do you rarely see any "straight" males taking care of their skin or trying to enhance their appearance or solve skin problems, yet, the majority of gay males are all about it or have at least shown an interest in skincare or makeup. Gay men are comfortable with both their male and feminine sides and do not care about the labels or if their sexuality is questioned rather the opposite is apparent in straight men.

Let me know your thoughts and opinions on this.

Michael, xo

Well, in my experience, I can't help but agree with you.  The only straight men I have known who are totally comfortable with looking after their skin are theatre actors who are wearing stage makeup eight shows a week.  If they didn't cleanse properly and take a little care, their faces would fall off.  Plus, working in theatre, they're much less likely to be threatened by the idea of a little bit of a feminine side creeping in anyway.  (The right amount - chicks dig that.). Working in an environment where there are lots of gay men, they know they're not going to catch Teh Gay, or be mindlessly hit on, or whatever.  I'm lucky enough to know a lot of straight men who aren't threatened by either their feminine side or the gay men around them.  And lucky enough to see a lot of good friendships between gay men and straight men.  It's a legacy of my profession.  But if you don't have that exposure, I guess you're not going to reach that comfort level.  Unfortunately.  Though I think that's something Gen Y has going for it.  They seem more accepting.  The Ys I know, anyway.

deleted

I'd reconsider the first two generalizations you make there Andy. There are plenty of things that happen that you might not be aware of. I would think it would be lack of exposure to skincare/makeup and societal pressure to be masculine. 

That's what I meant, but I had a brain **bleep** and couldn't put it into words haha. I mean, Hugh Jackman probably puts on a little concealer before making a red carpet appearance and he's as manly as it gets!

Good fix. My very straight fiancé told me recently that he wants me to help him find a good concealer so that he can look his best for special occasions. He has zero qualms with the notion of wearing makeup and knows that it neither diminishes his masculinity nor his attraction to me. 🙂

I just wish more men would be open to using just a little bit of concealer, powder, or even tinted moisturizer. It's not life threatening or anything haha

" It's not life threatening or anything haha"

Makeup is clearly the next great evil that will undermine mankind. Cats and dogs getting along together and all that. *snickers* In all seriousness, bad TV shows are more dire evils. I wish guys would put some attention to their faces, and I'm sure that I wouldn't blink twice at the results because it would register as 'normal' in my mind.

Now if only I could erase the memory of the hirsute man in the two sizes too small tiny hot pants from my mind. #trulyfrighteningandthreatening

Then again, I've been around gay men who don't even have an interest in skin care... I got a guy to buy a little cooling mask, and I asked... have you ever had a facial? And of course, being two gay men in mid convo, he struck up a dirty joke... point aside. He has never, and I asked, "Do you even wash your face before bed?" and he says no... doesn't mean he's not hygienic though, he does brush his teeth at night.

I bet that mask is still on his desk right now - unused lol

Men are strange people... but that's why I love them 😄 haha

89 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos3
  • image.jpeg
  • tumblr_inline_n1p2ifAWuo1stm0ce.gif
  • make.JPG