Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Men Who Makeup
Men Things

Hi! I'm a 20 year old guy and I'm having problems finding the right products for me. I don't want makeup for color but for coverage. And also I probably need a skincare because I don't have much acne but I tend to have some, specially in the summer with the hot weather when my face gets more oily. I've been using a foundation by Sephora but I dont love it. i also use transparent mascara by Sephora and it works good for me. But I need some advice on a good foundation, concealer and brushes/sponges that I can use. The stores just look so confusing with all these different brands and products.

all I want is a natural look, almost looking like I have no make up.

So, which products should I buy?

Thanks for your help

reply George
reply George
Re: Men Things

First off, your instinct to start up a skincare routine is bang on.  A good (even if simple) skincare regime for both morning and night is the best way to improve your complexion.  This becomes even more necessary if you start using more makeup products, which if left uncleansed can clog your skin and disrupt the chemistry. 

You'll definitely need a cleanser and a moisturizer, and most people include some kind of toning step as well.  The specific products you choose though will depend heavily on the type of skin you have:  oily or dry, acne prone, discolored, etc.  You'll probably need to talk to someone at a store to help you figure it out.  (And be ready to adjust your routine.  At your age, skin changes as will its needs.)

As for coverage products, unless you're looking for a full coverage foundation, I'd recommend starting with a tinted moisturizer or BB Cream.  (I'm partial to Dr. Jart+ products.)  They're products designed to be absorbed by the skin, but they improve the overall look of the skin tone and blur imperfections out.  They also tend to provide additional skincare benefits.  Because they're absorbed into the skin, they also don't wash you out or flatten your complexion (which would usually require additional color products—like blush—to restore a natural coloring to the skin), so it would minimize the number of products you'd actually need to use.

It won't, however, provide much coverage for acne blemishes.  Lately, my favorite product for this is NudeStix Concealer Pencil.  It's easy to use and if properly matched will look very natural on the skin.

Another BB option, Tarte bb primer. Don't have to wear anything over it, it's natural looking.

http://sephora.com/product/P377542

For brushes, e.l.f. black handle are very good for their low price tag $3-$6. At target, walmart, cvs, old navy, more on their website.

Are you going to use concealer mainly for acne?

If so, Murad has an acne concealer. Mario Badescu - ulta, nordstrom, their site - has a drying cream. Not concealer but a acne spot cream with a bit of camouflage color. Contacted directly, they will mail samples.

Cover fx also has an acne concealer, same with bare minerals

http://sephora.com/product/P388701?icid2=skugrid

http://sephora.com/product/P213007?icid2=skugrid

Hi Ricmfb,

I think you're right, a BB would be really perfect for your purposes! A BB or CC provides just a little bit of coverage, but most BB's I've ever used are very subtle and natural looking, particularly if they're not "built-up" and you use only a small amount of product. 

If you have a little bit of acne and deal with oily skin COVER FX BB Gel Mattifying Anti-Blemish Treatment is a great product, it'll probably decrease the frequency and intensity of your acne, in addition to giving you nice coverage. This product has more of a matte finish, and I personally tend to think that matte finishes look much more natural on men than something really dewy.

Another popular option is Smashbox Camera Ready BB Cream SPF 35 - it has a natural finish, is great for oily skin and a little bit goes a long way!

What about a BbCream? Which one do you recommend?

i've found that Etude House cushion compacts offer the most natural skin finish.  Korean brands in general are renowned for offering the most realistic finishes, but that one knocked it out of the park for me.  The applicator in the compact does a fabulous job at applying though I suggest buying a couple spares so you can always have a clean one.

Bump on the concealer for oily skin though. 

Conversation Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors