Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Men Who Makeup
eye makeup for men

Hi, how much eye liner & eye shadow can a man wear without looking too freakish?

Re: eye makeup for men

I can positively say I am just being honest.  Hopefully, I will get better with more practice.

Positive thoughts. Positive thoughts. 😄

I hope the op has positive thoughts when he sees I inadvertently highjacked another thread.  Once again, I am truly sorry.

That's ok,you've talked about bold lips, what do you wear? Reds, plums, pinks, & dark?

All of the above (although I have only worn really dark makeup for themed events).  I have already highjacked another thread with my unrelated pictures today, so I will send you a pm of my favorite bold lipstick.  That said, my bold is still more natural than someone else's bold may be.

I'll be glad to read whatever you post on my threads. I like wearing heels & one lady said I walk better than most ladies she deals with!

IMHO, eyeliner and eye shadow do not a freak make. Makeup doesn't know gender identity or race or sexual orientation or ethnic origin and on and on.

if you identify as a male and you want to wear makeup, you just do it and poo poo the haters. The haters are always gonna hate, but if you feel confident and fierce, then you win.

Preach!  

I think it has to be something you feel comfortable with to begin with. Like Sonny said, even an extreme natural look can make a huge difference, and from there, you can play with different looks to see what you feel is "you". 

I've seen guys who wear eye shadow and liner and it looks fantastic on them. It's nothing overdone but you can tell they have it on, and all I can think is "Wow, his eyes are gorgeous".

Look around and find some looks that you like. Figure out what looks good on you. Play around at home with looks. And hang around on BT for tips and advice!

Hi, thanks for your tips. How can I put pictures on, but only certain people can see - I;m scared to be recognized?

Send them a private message! 😄

As a guy, I totally feel you on this hahaha! Especially when I want to go with the EXTREME NATURAL

For an extreme natural look I usually just do my tight line and a shade darker on my crease... that's it - SO BORING RIGHT? But it makes a huge difference, especially when you tight line, it makes your eye pop instantly and basically undetectable unless someone were to look from under or your eyes started to water up (or cry lol)

For a more bolder look but still not over the top, I usually tight line, do one shade darker (I use Kat Von D - Vanish... it works like a charm for my skin colour) on my crease and 2 shades darker on the outside base of my lid 

For a border line look - which means people will probably know you are wearing makeup but it's not TOO over the top, I do my tight line normally with a brown or black, my crease with vanish, the outside of my eyelid (under my crease) with 2 shades darker and I go for a dark brown on the outside corner. I use a brown eyeshadow and use that to do my eyeliner (Very close to my lash line - it gives me a super intense eye) and I sometimes do my waterline with a grey, white, vanish + a brownish colour or just a brown... I rarely go total black on my waterline...

gel or liquid eyeliner are an obvious giveaway. I stick with eye shadows for my eye liner.

To be honest, everyone has their own sense of what the word "freakish" means... so it's very vague... hope you find my techniques interesting... and hope you take it and spice it up your own way! 😉

There is  a guy that works at a Bobbi Brown counter that I go to and he always lines his eyes and wears shadow. It really looks good on him because it make his eyes pop. It is hard to explain but some how his liner and eye shadow look so natural that all you see are theses light sea green eyes. (yes I am jealous I will never get my eye make up to look that good). He where's light colors like light greens, golds, peaches.

We have a couple guys in the community so I'm hoping they come to help. I think as much as you want to honestly. You will have to try to see. I'd start with natural looks, beiges, taupes, browns. And I'd do a soft brown liner smudged a bit in the lashes. 

Would lining all around the eye & waterline be too much? I've used liner on lid but scared to try the rest by myself.

You never know until you try! Set aside some time to play around! Because I do wear makeup everyday, my play time usually occurs when I'm going to soon take off my makeup (and NOT right before I need to go out, attend a special event, etc.). This way, if you try something that ends up not working out, it doesn't matter -- you're about to take it off anyways. This is actually a tip I picked up on BeautyTalk so keep hanging around! 🙂 

Can I send you some pics for your opinion?

Conversation Stats
  • 37 replies
  • 32 Hearts Given
  • 9 Contributors