Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Oily Skin
|
Best Product to Minimize Oil on Face?

What's the best product to use under foundation to help minimize oil on my face? My makeup looks great first thing in the morning, but by midday I'm oily and splotchy all over.

I have to chime in on this one! I have had the oilest ski...

I have to chime in on this one! I have had the oilest skin EVER for years. I have been to see the derm, no luck. I literally use to blot all day long -- I couldn't get from point A to point B without having to blot again. So frustrating. Someone recommended to me that I try the Josie Marin argan oil. I cringed when I first felt it and couldn't imagine putting that on my already oily face. Infact, I still cringe! BUT LET ME TELL YOU -- I wash with Cetaphil, nothing fancy. I put the argan oil on. I use the Makeup Forever HD Microfinish powder and then Bare Minerals Powder.Honestly, after about a week of using the argan oil, I haven't had to blot once since then. No more. I have heard that oil can help regulate your own oil production. I wouldn't have believed it but now I do. This has been a life saver for me. Highly recommend -- give it a try, trust me it'll feel horrible at first but the results are so worth it.

FYI -- I have tried the other mattefying products -- nothing worked except this. And I am the type that doesn't like the feel of lots of 'stuff' on my face -- I prefer the clean feel. This is so worth it.

Re: I have to chime in on this one! I have had the oilest ski...
@Andrea1987 A little goes a long way, so try a small drop first.
Re: I have to chime in on this one! I have had the oilest ski...
I just got the Argan oil! I was wondering -- how many drops do you use? I have a really oily skin and actually used to use the Oil Method (which completely normalized my skin - Google it - it's just a pain in the butt) so I would love to try the Argan Oil on my face.
I know exactly how you feel, and my solution is to change...

I know exactly how you feel, and my solution is to change up your products to find what suits your skin best! Starting off your makeup with a moisturizer is important and I use the Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel. Unlike every other moisturizer I've tried, it's 100% non greasy. Try a good primer underneath your makeup like Cover FX Matte Primer. Remember your secret weapon is powder. I find powdering my face with a loose powder in the morning lasts a lot longer then pressed powder. Keep oil absorbing sheets in your bag to blot excess oil. If you're not already using salicylic acid or a Ziana (stronger acne med), give it a try so it'll dry up the oil. Remember, although your skin is producing a lot of oil already, never neglate moisturzing.  

If your face gets oily like that even when you are not we...

If your face gets oily like that even when you are not wearing any make up, try a lighter lotion moisturizer, or an oil-free one.

There are 2 mattifying make up product you can use:

1. mattifying primer before foundation. There are many out there, just go to primer category and filter. Personally I've only used Benefit POREfessional and loved it. It really mattifies and if I put make up on top, my pores are significantly smaller. You might want to try this because a primer will prevent the foundation from moving around, too much (as well as mattifying if you chose a mattifying one).

2. mattifying powder/spray to finish off your make up. I've used Clinique Stay Matte for 4+ years and loved it. Urban Decay de-slick spray/powder both have good reviews. I'm planning to try the Stila Sheer Pressed powder.

Good luck.

I use the hourglass mineral veil primer and in my opinion...

I use the hourglass mineral veil primer and in my opinion it's the very best. For the powder you should try the Laura Mercier loose powder, it's gives a flawless finish and doesn't make you look ghostly in photos, besides you get a ton and it lasts for ever. I hope this helps!

I would suggst using a primer or anti-shine gel under you...

I would suggst using a primer or anti-shine gel under your foundation to help keep oil at bay during the day.  Although I've never personally tried it, I've heard rave reviews about the Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer.  Just the other day a sephora rep recommended it to me!

Hourglass - Veil Mineral Primer SPF 15

http://www.sephora.com/veil-mineral-primer-spf-15-P210575

If you want a more natural, silicone-free approach, I would highly recommend the Korres Face Primer. In my recent discovery of silicone's negative effects on my skin (I think it's my acne-causing culprit), I went to sephora searching for silicone-free options.  After reading good reviews about this product, I decided to give it a go.  After about a week of use, I can definitely say it has helped with oil and helps keep my makeup in place.

Korres - Face Primer

http://www.sephora.com/face-primer-P235200

Lastly, I would suggest a setting powder to use over your foundation to help keep it in place/absorb excess oil.  There are tons out there, so it's really based on personal preference.  But in my experience, I really like Make Up For Ever's HD Microfinish Powder.  It's translucent and super fine, so it does an excellent job at setting makeup and soaking up the oil on your skin.

MAKE UP FOR EVER - HD Microfinish Powder

http://www.sephora.com/hd-microfinish-powder-P210400

One last note--maybe the moisturizer your using (if your using one) is contributing to the oil on your face and splotchy makeup application?  I know in my past experience, there have been several moisturizers that gave me an oil slick after an hour of application.  Just a thought!

Hope this helps and best of luck!

7 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 Hearts Given
  • 8 Contributors