Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Oily Skin
|
Does it matter if the skin care products i buy are expensive?

I'm asking this because I am confliceted as to what to buy. I see products range from 22 to over 100 dollars, What am I paying for exactly??

Tags (3)
Also - look at the ounces/price ratios - say you're searc...

Also - look at the ounces/price ratios - say you're searching for a retinol product - one product may seem more expensive but it actually could have more product than its competitors so maybe it's a better buy. Look at the ingredients, if retinol is one of the first ingredients listed, then you know you're getting some real bang for your buck. 

But yeah, what they're saying is true - sometimes you're paying for a brand. Companies can get away with it after years of people paying up but then again, sometimes people pay up because the products are fabulous. Try out different things and pay attention to the ingredients that work - seems like most people end up with a mix of high-end stuff and drugstore products. 

Select your skin care products based on your skin's needs...

Select your skin care products based on your skin's needs and your budget.  Ingredients (or the lack of ingredients) drive price, but so does the brand name and the celebrities that endorse a brand.  Price-wise, I consider brands like Chanel, La Prairie, Sisley and La Mer to be "extremely expensive" COSMETIC skin care products.  People swear by them.  Brands like Kate Somerville and Perricone MD are what I would classify to be the "higher-end" COSMECEUTICAL skin care products.  And people swear by them, too.  My choice is to stick with COSMECEUTICAL products that give me results, contain the specific ingredients that are affective for my skin, do not contain parabens or mineral oil, and that I can afford each month.  It is reasonable to spend $25-$35 on a cleanser, $15-$25 on a toner and $45-$65 on a moisturizer...and serums / treatment products $50-$100 each.  If I won the lottery tomorrow, I still wouldn't spend $380 on a face cream.

The best piece of advice I can give to anyone, no matter what your skin type is...invest in a Clarisonic.  It does the most thorough job of cleansing your face and exfoliating dead skin so that your skin care toners, serums, and moisturizers can truly penetrate.  You don't use as much product so your skin care items last longer.  Seriously...the most important item in my daily skin care routine!

Hope that helps.

Overpriced products are dumb.  Because most of them have...

Overpriced products are dumb.  Because most of them have the same exact ingredients and perform just as poor.  There are a few that are worth their price but only a FEW.  Cold Plasma (yes) everything else by Perricone...(average in my opinion).  Kate Sommerville is NOT worth it.  You just want to really compare an expensive products ingredients to a cheaper alternative to get an idea of "how special" it really is.

Re: Overpriced products are dumb.  Because most of them have...
Yeah it's true a lot of skincare has the same ingredients as lower priced products but the thing you have to look for is how many fillers each product has. There is a reason one is more expensive and one is cheaper. And by the way, ExfoliKate is awesome!
i guess with some products you could be paying for the 'b...

i guess with some products you could be paying for the 'brand name.' but i think it's the ingredients you're paying for. especially if you compare high end skin care to what you see in the drugstore.

Really it all depends on what you want. I wouldn't focus...

Really it all depends on what you want. I wouldn't focus on the price (unless of course you have a budget!) but more on the reviews and advice. Anti-aging things are usually going to be more expensive (I've noticed) the better the brand, but then again it all depends on what works for you. If you read the reviews there are some people who break out from even the most expensive brands! I would go for what's best for your skin type rather then the price. Do some research, ask some questions (sephora staff can answer a lot of your questions if you call, and the people on this forum are a lot of help as well), read the reviews. That's my advice:)

6 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 Hearts Given
  • 7 Contributors