Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|
How long till you can tell if you breakout from a moisturizer?

I just started using a Cocoa Butter moisturizer (cocoa butter is the first ingrediant).  I was told it is too heavy for your skin and will break you out.  How long will it take for me to figure out if it is right for me, or not?

Tags (2)
It will take at least 3 to 4 days to determine if it's br...

It will take at least 3 to 4 days to determine if it's breaking you out. You'll notice your skin getting oily first and by the third day your skin is probably going to break out. Coco butter is such a big no no for oily skin, get a good oil free moistuizer and remember that you need hydration and not more oil.

You should definitely be able to tell within a couple day...

You should definitely be able to tell within a couple days.  Also, as someone else mentioned, you can kind of predict how your skin is going to react to a product based on the way it feels on your skin.  Does it feel like it's sitting on top of your skin forming a thick layer?  Red flag.  Does it make your skin super oily?  Red flag.   Does it take a while to absorb in your skin?  Red flag.

I experimented with cocoa butter this summer.  I absolutely love Palmer's Cocoa butter and use it for my eyelashes (helps em grow thick, strong, and long), cuticles, really dry patches, and on my lips.  I figured since it works so well for other parts of my body, why not my face?  After reading many mixed reviews about it, I decided to give it a try.  But unfortunately, it didn't work with my acne-prone skin.  It felt GREAT on my skin and left my face feeling super soft, but after one night, I had several new bumps scattered across my face and after another night, two huge zits.  Maybe you will have better luck if you use a more pure form of cocoa butter (unlike Palmer's), but just bear in mind that cocoa butter can be considered a comdeogenic (pore-clogging) ingredient, especially if you suffer from frequent acne.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

It takes my skin 2-3 days to start showing signs of break...
It takes my skin 2-3 days to start showing signs of breaking out if it's from pore clogging. If it's from a sensitivity reaction, it can happen within 12 hours.
1. Right after applying, if it sits on your skin, feeling...

1. Right after applying, if it sits on your skin, feeling greasy minutes after you applied it, making your skin feel like it couldn't breath (thick layer, itchy), then it's too heavy for you. Stop now.

2. If after using it for a week or two, your skin gets more oily during the day, you have more skin colored bumps or whitehead appearing, it is too heavy. If you still want to use it, maybe you can warm it up, and combine it with your lighter moisturizer and apply.

4 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors