Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|
I need a foundation and skin care routine!

Hi! I am 13 and have pretty good skin. I barely have any acne, but I want to have a skin care rountine that is not that expensive. I have sensitive skin sometimes (some stuff gives me pimples) and  I just want a simple routine that is affordable! It could be drugstore or sephora! I also would like a foundation routine that is not too heavy and cakey! I tried a try it kit from sephora collections and it was not that good. I am now going to try a bare escentuals kit! Keep in mind my age and that I don't want anything too too heavy.  I really need help here people! At least a good skin care routine! 

~blonde hair

~blue eyes

~light skin 

~a little bit of dark circles

Hi there,   I can understand your concerns and I'm glad t...

Hi there,

I can understand your concerns and I'm glad that you're recognizing not to go too heavy. Skincare products can be your best friend or your worst enemy depending on what you use, how you use it, and how often you use it. As far as dark circles are concerned consider your lifestyle and eating habits as well as other factors such as allergies or sinus infections which can all play a role in contributing to dark circles. As young as you are I absolutely do not reccomend using any kind of adult skincare product for the dark circles and that tender skin. I do reccomend using a gentle cleanser. No bar cleansers or harsh soaps. I really like both philosophy purity and cetaphil. Although I think I am liking the cetaphil better than my old standby purity :). Exfoliate properly and in moderation. I don't actually use scrubs myself. I have recently switched from scrubs to exfoliating with lactic acid masques but that kind of exfoliating isn't something I reccomend at your age or would allow my 13 year old daughter to do. No walnut shell scrubs (I'm lookin' at you St. Ives!). A good moisturizer and a good sunscreen. That is really all you need at this point. You don't need to do much more than basics and if you use strong soaps or you're over cleansing or over exfoliating you'll end up with oily skin that doesn't need to be there.

As far as wearing makeup at your age. I think it remains a controversial issue and I know I'm just a poster on the board but I hope you will really take this to heart. Whether you are 13 or 23 or 33 or 103, if you're going to wear makeup make sure you have the right motives. I love makeup. I love beauty products, they are the grown up version of Barbie and the Malibu dream house for me. It's fun! I could go out of the house any day of the week with a full face (Well, full for me) of makeup or I could go out with nothing but sunscreen and some lip balm. Do not let makeup become something atattched to your self esteem and think you have to look a certain way or can only be seen looking a certain way. Keep beauty fun and enjoy playing with makeup and enjoy the fun, pampering side of it but don't let yourself start believing you need to have it just to be pretty 🙂

I think at your age foundation is unecessary. I didn't st...

I think at your age foundation is unecessary. I didn't start wearing make up until 15 (except for sheer gloss).

L'oreal and Neutrogena are good drugstore brand for skincare. My current routine is Clinique 3 step (I suggest going to a department store like Macy or Norstorm Clinique counter to get your skin diagnosed (combo, dry or oily) and you can mix and match between different products for different skin types).

The most important thing is wearing SPF during the day, clean your face twice a day (with cleanser or just water+towel then moisturize) and if you do wear make up, make sure to take them off before you sleep.

Re: I think at your age foundation is unecessary. I didn't st...
wow! thank you so much!
Ack! I wrote a lengthy reply/essay but BeautyTalk glitch deleted it.

Basically everyone's skin is different, so get a consultation, then read the description and reviews for products before buying. Some people (mostly American/US) are in favor of deep/intensive cleansing with machines, peels etc. Some people (mostly Asian and European) think it's too harsh like sandpapers and baby their skins. You don't need anything fancy/intensive until your 20s (acne aside, I had the best skin in my teens and early 20s). Right now you should focus on hydrate/nourish and protect, aka gentle cleansing and moisturize with SPF.

p.s. You can mix/match the 3 step. I have combo skin (3) so I use liquid soap and gel moisturizer for type 3 in the summer, but need a richer moisturizer in the winter. Toner 3 stings my skin, so I switched to Toner 2 and now I can't go without it.
I am trying the 3-step thank you!
One more question. Are the machines good for your face? Like olay pro-x cleansing system or neutrogena wave sonic? Thanks so much!
Do you know what line of neutrogena or loreal I could try? I am pretty sure I am not oily and not very dry, maybe a little. Also, is clean and clear good too?
Thank you so much! I will do that!
8 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 5 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors