Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Volume Seekers
Flat Hair...

I have VERY flat hair. Only the front two pieces are semi-okay. I mean, I'm not sure what to do with it. I've tried flipping my hair and hair spraying the top to give volume, but is volume the problem? I have really thick heavy hair that's about shoulder length. I'm not sure what to do, or if there are even an products or changes in my hair care routine I would have to change to fix it.

Re: Flat Hair...

I have a few suggestions. I found that it's much easier to get volume when I have shorter hair with layers. You can try adding layers to your hair as well as using thinning shears.

I also found that a good blow dry helped to volumize my hair. I always hold my round brush above my head at an angle so that it dries that way. 

You can try using volumizing products, like a volumizing shampoo and conditioner such as Living Proof's Full line and Bumble & Bumble's Thickening line. I also use a root spray, thickening mousse, hair primer, and a volumizing hairspray. Dry shampoo also helps.

A few things help me get more volume. The first is the cut of your hair. Consider asking for lots of waves next time you get your hair cut.

Product can help as well. Have you considered trying a volumizing shampoo and conditioner? I have tried several and really like Drybar's Volumizing shampoo and conditioner. For styling, I'll occasionally use Alterna's Volumizing Mist or Living Proof's Full Thickening Mousse.

I have problems with flat hair too, have you tried crimping 1-2 layers under your hair? it'll help a little bit. you'll need to practice to get it just right to make sure it stays hidden.

I also use these clips, it'll give my hair a break when I don't want to use heat styling (the crimper), just make sure it's not a windy day 🙂 I got mine at sasa.com

velcro hair.jpg

Use the BigSexyHair hairspray in the red can. Works for me. I also agree about the stylist thinning out your hair. 

I love the Alterna Bamboo Volume 48-Hour Volume Spray - just a few sprays and some upside-down blow drying and you're good to go!

A trick that worked for me is to condition my hair before shampooing with a voulmizing shampoo.  I also liked the ALTERNA Haircare CAVIAR Anti-Aging Miracle Multiplying Volume Mist

How do you use this? in damp or dry hair? 

I use it on damp hair (really towel dried).  I flip my head and use a hair dryer to completely dry it.

I'm not sure how you fix your hair, but I find that having my hair parted in the middle of my head makes my hair look a lot flatter on top. When I shift the part off to one side I get a lot better volume. Sea salt sprays also do a nice job adding a bit of body. I also avoid applying any conditioner or hair products to the top third or so of my hair since they seem to weigh it down when they're that close to the roots.

Since your hair is very thick you would probably benefit most from a visit to a stylist and a pair of thinning shears.  Blow drying upside down and volumizing sprays will only do so much (assuming you've tried this).  A good stylist will know where and how much to thin out out your hair, (and won't over-do it) to give your hair some volume at the crown so it doesn't fall flat from the sheer weight of your hair.

I agree Kalex- layers and blow-dry upside down. I have really long/thick/straight/fine hair and I'll dry upside down, then round-brush in four sections to smooth things out. I also put Phyto Volumizing Spray at the roots. Next I curl, using a 1.5inch curling iron, and wrap each section in a curler with a duckbill clip to set. It's a lot of work, but looks great AND it lasts for two or three days. 

Conversation Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 Hearts Given
  • 11 Contributors
Photos1
  • velcro hair.jpg