Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Volume Seekers
|
What is the best volumizing spray for curly hair?

I have naturally curly hair that I let air dry and inevitably the top is flat while the bottom is bigger like a triangle lol.  I want more volume near the roots.  What would you suggest is the best product for this?  I know dry shampoo works but I would rather have a volumizing spray instead.

Re: What is the best volumizing spray for curly hair?

OGX elevated finish spray (at Ulta)

I have very heavy, curly hair and it is awesome at elevating and holding.  The only downside it sometimes the spray nozzle gets clogged between using it and I have to run it under water for a minute.

Thank you I'll check it out

Have you ever had a DevaCurl cut? They do a great job at boosting volume and avoiding the dreaded triangle look. 

Otherwise, I would say using clips to pin the top up while it is drying (my DevaCurl stylist sent me home with a handful after my first cut) and the DevaCurl Frizz-Free Volumizing Foam applied to the roots. 

I have not.  I am trying someone new on Saturday for a haircut that is supposed to be good with curly hair.  Keeping my fingers crossed

i agree with @JoannaMarieC ... sometimes the only way to tame curly hair is with a good haircut. it can take awhile (and/or some trial and error) to find a good hairstylist that knows how to work with unruly hair, but it's so worth it in the end.

that being said, i have used drybar's volumizing mousse with some success, but lately have been loving living proof's volumizing spray - i only need a spritz in a few select places to ensure my curls keep their shape (and the crown holds volume) in the super humid, rainy PNW. b&b's surf blow-dry spray has also provided me some good volume, but i regularly dry my hair since it holds water for hours on end otherwise.

@curlieqmine stays wet till at least the next day when air drying, but blotting with a microfiber towel has helped tremendously on cutting down time, an idea if you don't use.

@TrysBeautyItems, me too!

i bought an aquis waffle turban about a month ago and it has upped my hair game significantly. one of the best purchases in a very long time.

Thanks.  I'm afraid to try mousse thinking it will be so stiff and sticky.  I was looking at the B&B dryspun finish.  I'll check out the options you suggested

Do you flip your hair over and/or scrunch it up near the roots after washing?

I do.  I scrunch while I am rinsing out the conditioner.  Then again when I am applying products.  Looks good for awhile but doesn't last

Flipping hair as well, when adding products, will help fluff.

Ouidad a curl only brand, has good products. I've used, but not the amplifing ones; products are by curl type.

Ouidad and Devacurl have their own salons, never used either, just something to keep in mind or a consulation with someone you find.

11 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 6 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors